Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Let the Job Begin

I began my job today with the Florida Panthers. After the whole morning was spent signing paperwork and getting my building ID, etc., I actually got to my new desk and began working.

5:00 today was the deadline for players to sign paperwork if they wanted to take us to Salary Arbitration. Seven players decided to do this. But I should explain that most of the time arbitration doesnt happen because a contract is agreed upon waaaaay before the arbitration were to take place. One of the guys who filed for arbitration was our stud young defensemen Jay Bouwmeester. So you can expect the papers tomorrow down here t be asking why we didn't sign him, but I'm not worried. We will get it done before July 15th I think.

We also signed two defensemen today. One who was already on our roster last year and the other was a player who we got from Vancouver in the Luongo-Bertuzzi trade, but we just had to agree to terms with him. I got to write the press release announcing that we signed both these players, or actually just agreed to terms with them to be specific.

So for one day of work, I learned a lot about free agency and salary arbitration. Tomorrow I am going to get started on this season's media guide. There is a ton of work to be done to put together a 300-page guide that must be soooo accurate that you can use it alllllll season long. I must have it done in about a month so I'm not too pressured right now to get it done, but I don't want to leave everything until the last minute.

Well, I'm beat from getting up at 6:30 this morning. My body has to get used to this early morning stuff again. I plan on keeping everyone posted on what a PR guy does for a pro team, so keep reading and post any questions you might have for me in the comments section.

No comments: