Thursday, June 03, 2010

One of the Best Ever

Sorry for the double-non fitness related posts this morning but this one is close to my heart.

Ken Griffey Jr. announced his retirement last night. Griffey was one of my first idols in baseball I had growing up. There was always Cal Ripken, which was obvious being from that area, but Junior was one of my favorites that never played for my team. I had a poster of him on my wall growing up that read, "In Jr. We Trust"

I will never forget his rediculous catches in centerfield and how it always looked like he was having sooo much fun playing the game. I will never forget the catch he made against my Orioles one evening in the old Kingdom. He leaped up against the wall and caught the ball with his wrist turned completely around. It actually broke his wrist but it was the best catch I have ever seen in my lifetime. If that catch were in a World Series, it would have been better then Willie Mays' catch from years prior. Here is a picture of that catch.

ken griffey jr. catch in kingdom Pictures, Images and Photos

Griffey had the sweetest swing EVER in the game. No one can argue that. He leaves the game with the 5th most home runs of all-time and ZERO, zilch, nada talk of him ever using steroids or HGH. That in itself is unheard of in today's game. He will go into the Hall of Fame in 5 years as one of the games all-time greats and I will be there in Cooperstown with my buddy Phil.

Congratulations on a great career Junior and here's to hoping you stay in the game in any shape or form. The MLB is sooooo much better with Ken Griffey in it, then without him.

No comments: